Sunday, March 13, 2016

Saluting Women #1-Cath

On Women's International Day (March 8th) I read an article  in a local paper called "Putting Women in Focus," that celebrates the lives of women, especially those in developing countries, who were photographed by Annie Griffiths. I decided that I, too, will honor women I either know or meet as I go about my daily life. Some of them will have a close relationship to me, others will be new-found friends or acquaintances or someone I find particularly interesting. I will post the pictures  one day a week on my Sunday blog and call it "Saluting Women." I am going to use photos in my archives as well as newly snapped portraits.

Catherine Grant Rohling-Carrier
1961-2014
I chose this portrait of Cath because she meant a great deal to our family. I watched her grow from a little girl into a beautiful woman who charmed everyone. Catherine died Tuesday, November 11, 2014 at the age of 51 after a courageous 5-year battle with multiple myeloma. She loved life and died too soon but was an inspiration to everyone who met and loved her. Cath's suffering and death broke our hearts but we cherish and celebrate the memories we have of her and the life she shared with us.


10 comments:

  1. She was beautiful and it's a shame she was taken so young!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet tribute to a wonderful pretty woman. Sad she had to die so young.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good tribute to her, Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, she died much too young. Sounds like her legacy is inspiring those who knew her, and she's a great first subject for your new series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your idea for following focusing on a woman each Sunday. It's sad that Catherine died so young. Beautiful photograph you took of her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty bride and a very sad story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your portrait captured a happy moment and can serve as a placeholder for good memories. There are lots of women doing amazing things. How nice to honor some of them weekly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a very beautiful tribute Kate, I think Catherine will be looking down with love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. She does look like a charming woman. Your tribute honors her.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!