Monday, February 22, 2016

Community Ambassador


 Alan who is from a small community near Bemidji, Minnesota, has worked at Pow Wow Grounds on Franklin Avenue in Minneapolis for about a year.  The coffee shop has been opened for about five years and is in the heart of the Native American community.  Alan, who is Chippewa and a good Ambassador for the community,  showed us the adjoining gallery that is filled with Indian art.  There is a sign near the cash register suggesting that donations be made so that Elders who cannot afford it can enter the coffee shop for coffee, soup and/or a sandwich.  I like this! It was my first visit there, but it will not be the last!




8 comments:

  1. Good for the community and good for the Elders. It's nice to read stories like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a nice man and I really like what he is doing. I know the Ojibwa Indians set up house on my grandmother's land in northern Minnesota. Are they the same as the Chippewa?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of paying forward Kate, we have some cafes that do the same. Very nice portrait shot of Alan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! I like it too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The tribes around here show a lot of respect for their Elders...and for ancestors further back, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So Ojibwe. Marvellous! How I wish I could go to the café! And pow wow...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how the Native Americans respect and value their elders. I would definitely be leaving a donation in the cup.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!