Saturday, August 15, 2015

Going to the dogs!


The 36th Irish Fair in St. Paul, an annual celebration of Irish heritage and culture, was held from Friday, August 7-Sunday, August 9 on Harriet Island. With approximately 100,000 attendees each year, this event is the largest free celebration of its kind in the nation. Despite the light rain, DH and I took a shuttle bus from Union Depot in downtown and spent several hours among many Irish (?) onlookers who were doing what Jim and I were doing: eating, listening to Irish musicians, examining all the Irish items for sale, watching Irish dance and movies.  Our favorite spot was the tent that held several breeds of Irish dogs who were patiently accepting the admiration and pets from young and old alike. The two here are, on the left, an Irish terrier and the big fella is an Irish Wolfhound.


DH and I are going to Door County for a few days.  No wifi, whatever will I do?!
Speaking of dogs, son Karl will live at our house with our dogs.  No animals, whatever will I do?!

Linking to Saturday's Critters, Camera Critters

18 comments:

  1. Hello, wonderful post and photos! The Irish Wolfhounds and Terrier are both beautiful dogs. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Irish and appealing for sure

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute dogs! Have a great time away. Hopefully you'll find plenty to do without WIFI and your dogs. ;))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your adventure and return safely, please . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely they are!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, the wolfie is marvelous! enjoy your door county getaway (but i'd miss my dogs terribly...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You'll survive. Wifi and doggies will await your return.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such beautiful hounds!
    I recently read it is good to look into a dog's eyes (dog, fox, not wolf for some reason) to generate oxytocin. I have provided the link to the article below: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/04/16/the-look-of-love-is-in-the-dogs-eyes/
    I love all animals and I am so happy I stopped by your site to look at the lovely Irish dogs.
    Have a Joyous Weekend!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a great time...off the grid!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Two of my favourite breeds and Irish too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You will have more time without dogs and wiFi

    ReplyDelete
  12. What sweet dogs!

    Enjoy the break, Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those Wolfhounds can be huge.
    Oh no, how will you survive?. Maybe it will give you more time to take photos...which is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love these dogs. This looks like a more sane celebration than many St. Patrick's Day events.
    Enjoy yourself in Door County. (We sure miss our dog when we travel without him!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The first time I heard about these dogs was reading "Out of Africa" by Karen Blixen.. They are very big.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My sister has 3 Irish Wolfhounds. Big fun! Big messes!
    ~

    ReplyDelete
  17. such beautiful dogs. I bet the fair was fun to attend. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My friend Candy, who lives in Westerville, near Columbus, Ohio, has two Irish Wolfhounds and she goes to this event every year. Years ago I used to have one. Gorgeous dogs.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!