Friday, November 05, 2010

The Simple Life

Gary and his family live a simpler, quieter  and slower way of life on an old farmstead, living like people did many years ago.  They limit their use of electricity, preferring candlelight and hand tools.  They cook and heat with wood, farm with horses, and make as much food as possible with bees, goats and a large garden.  They enjoy working with old traditional crafts of seed saving, blacksmithing, cheese, soap and candle-making, weaving, spinning and hard tool woodworking. "We make our own crafts with the purpose of usefulness, with added integrity, using only natural elements...no polyester, plastic, or chemicals."

An unusual life choice; one that I admire but not one that I would willingly share.

9 comments:

  1. And does it follow that the kids are home schooled?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy working with my hands, but the physical labor I just couldn't do that much any longer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very different life. I wonder how much dedication it takes. I would only last a week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How much we can learn from them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire him, as well. Something I could never do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would not be the life for me either. But I'm all for people doing what makes them happy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:41 AM

    Good for him! He's a great looking guy with an interesting face. Good portrait of him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it sounds like a great life. That beard is something else.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!