Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Tangine Pot

On Sunday, January 31, on my post I described the fair trade shop, Ten Thousand Villages.  This tangine caught my eye while I was there, and I will return today to buy the glazed, clay tangine in the photo. I'll take it on my trip so that I can entertain, amaze, and impress my Santa Fe friends with a special meal using this pot, hoping that they don't use one already.

"A tagine or tajine (Berber: taǧin) is a type of dish found in the North African cuisines of Algeria, Morocco, and Tunisia, which is named after the special pot in which it is cooked. A similar dish, known as Tavvas, is found in the cuisine of Cyprus. The traditional tagine pot is formed entirely of a heavy clay which is sometimes painted or glazed. It consists of two parts; a base unit which is flat and circular with low sides, and a large cone or dome-shaped cover that rests inside the base during cooking. The cover is so designed to promote the return of all condensation to the bottom. With the cover removed, the base can be taken to the table for serving.
Recently, European manufacturers have created tagines with heavy cast iron bottoms that can be fired on a stovetop at high heat. This permits browning meat and vegetables before cooking. While the similar Dutch oven and Sač (a cast iron pot with a tight cover) braises most efficiently in the oven, the tagine braises best on the stovetop." (from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

The secret, or so I'm told, is in the spices. I'll also stop today at Penzeys, a wonderful spice shop on Grand Avenue in St. Paul, to pick up some special spices. Should be fun!

15 comments:

  1. Never heard of it before. Curious to hear how it works out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. j'adore un bon tajine au poulet à, la mode marocaine, c'est delicieux

    ReplyDelete
  3. That should be an interesting cooking experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds yummy enough to serve your CDP blogger friends! I'll have to look for one too now that I know the "secret."

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've named my favorite spice store, Penzey's. They opened a Scottsdale store about 2 years ago and I've been a faithful shopper. Before that I shopped by mail. I own a Tangine pot and I'm embarrased to say, I haven't used it yet. You've inspired me to get it out and experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, please, may I come to dinner, too? What a great shot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have a few tangine and have seen lots of them in Morocco, but I have never seen one with the black and white designs of yours. Very unusual and creative.

    I am a not a good cook, but I do make a Moroccan rice dish that is very good. Chicken broth, cinnamon, ground orange peels, and a few other spices, and then 5 minutes before the rice is all cooked add in grapes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sending me to Kala in Hawaii. Now that's some serious surfing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. More cooking gear; you have my attention! I often wondered how this works. You must post the cooking process and let us know what spices you bought.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I, too, haven't run across this pot before. I like the look of it, though.

    We have a group of Penzeys' spices in our spice collection ... didn't know there was a shop in St. Paul. Is this perhaps where they originate? In the cold north country??

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! I have had tajine cooking before. It's very popular in France as they had several North African colonies and those immigrants have influenced the cuisine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adventurous, Kate...!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is new to me and very interesting, keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely colours, objects and composition, Kate!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!