Friday, August 21, 2009

The Farm Museum


Founded for the public enjoyment and education about farm life on the Island, 3 acres and 6 original buildings include pioneer log cabin, blacksmith shop and sawmill, field machinery, hand tools and photo exhibits. During the summer season volunteers conduct demonstrations and children's programs.

The red container with an aluminum funnel is a rain barrel used to collect the precious liquid, the upper middle photo is part of the blacksmith shop and the single blade plow is on the right. It was raining sporadically during our visit so I didn't take notes and cannot identify the three items on the lower left. Any guesses?

9 comments:

  1. I've seen around similar machines when I was younger, but know nothing about them. I'd like to visit a museum like this, I have to see if something similar does exist here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a disc on the lower left. This museum would be so interesting to see in person!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just thinking how much life has changed in just a short period of time. How we are so dependent on the few farmers that remain. How we don't respect and appreciate them enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, no clue but I love the farm equipment collage. Nice work Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a really interesting place to visit. Old stuff is neat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an interesting place. I would love to visit. Lots of photo ops there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:32 AM

    I see a plow, planter and harrow among the photos. All nice. Will have to think about going to such a place one of these days.

    I have the issue of "breast feeding" on my main blog today Pick a Peck of Pixels

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spent two wonderful summers in a small farm when I was 6 and 7! I have a feeling that this was then about the equipment the farmer used!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have already seen the thing in the left-hand corner but not the other ones. Maybe it was used to break the lumps (??) of dirt?

    I like learning about the way people lived and worked in former times.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!