Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Another Mural


I found another mural downtown, with a bit of graffiti included if you look closely. On its left side it features a landmark cafe, Mickey's Diner. According to the Minnesota Historical Society: Mickey's Diner has been serving breakfast to Minnesotans for more than 60 years. The only known dining car of its type to survive in Minnesota, it was prefabricated in New Jersey, shipped to St. Paul by rail and installed in the heart of downtown. Despite the proliferation in recent years of fast-food chains and franchised restaurants, the diner remains a successful business, in part due to its unique atmosphere.

Inspired by streamlined railroad dining cars, Mickey’s sports a symmetrical facade clad with yellow and red porcelain steel panels, a horizontal band of plate glass windows and a projecting neon sign with Art Deco lettering. The interior of the diner features stainless steel, mahogany and mirrored fixtures. A glass vestibule, added when the diner was installed, protects patrons from harsh Minnesota winters.

8 comments:

  1. encore une superbe peinture murale, surtout avec en photo le vrai diner.
    j'adore
    another superb wall painting, especially with in photograph truth to diner. I love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why haven't we got any diners like this in Europe (I believe)? So much else is imported from your side of the Atlantic - not only the best parts, maybe.

    This is nice graffiti - or rather murals as you say!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could spend a moment with you in this so American dinning car! You must keep it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neat! I love the mural and love the idea of an old-fashioned diner. I'm sure it's a neat place. I'm getting hungry for pancakes and hashbrowns just thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good paint ! I like it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. A nice way to honor the diner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great find. A great mural. And I love the diner.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!