Friday, March 21, 2008

In Honor of Abigail Taylor, Age 6

No, I haven't returned from my winter stay in Mazatlán, México yet--not until the 30th of March, but I learned something today that has filled me with sorrow. This beautiful child who lives in Edina, Minnesota died in an Omaha, Nebraska hospital Thursday night, March 20. "Abigail was injured when she sat on a pool drain, and its powerful suction ripped out part of her intestinal tract on June 29. She underwent transplant surgery in December at the Nebraska hospital to receive a new small bowel, liver and pancreas." (Home:Omaha News) No, I don't know the child or the family, but I was filled with horror when it occurred last June and have followed the ongoing story. As a mother and now a grandmother of a little girl the same age, I have been deeply affected by this tragic incident and the terrible impact on this family. I grieve for them. For more information, click here.

ADDED LATER: I received this message via email on Wednesday, March 26th:


I live in Abigail's neighborhood in Edina, Minnesota, and our beautiful city's streets are lined with thousands of luminaries in honor of Abbey tonight. Her visitation was at a local funeral home, and afterward, her family felt the support of this community as they made their way through Edina's neighborhoods amidst the thousands of lights shining for Abbey. It is beautiful and touching. Abbey's life and death have affected so many ... and her light shines bright tonight. She won't be forgotten! Thank you for caring ...

11 comments:

  1. What a sad situation. I had not heard about this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:31 PM

    I wanted to share my heartache pubically but most of the public forums- yahoo etc have questionable posts that I don't want to be anywhere near. I just heard of this story today and researched it to become familiar with it, and every facet of this story is heart breaking. She seems to have had a good life til the accident, with two loving parents and 3 siblings. But what a wonderful full life it could have been. Why was this sacrifice necessary to bring about a change that shouldn't have been needed. What pool owner in their right mind has a vacuum of this strength in a wading pool. It was a vicious accident waiting to happen, and it happened to poor Abigail. I wish there could have been a miracle waiting for her, after her extreme sacrifice for change. Why couldn't the transplant have gone well? I don't know, and my heart is heavy this day, and my prayers are with her family and her.
    thanks for the forum - one with dignity

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a terrible story as far as I understand. It makes me feel sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a tragic story. I hope your post will call attention of pool dangers to parents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cute kid with that smile - a very sad story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What can I say? Just terrible!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember when the story broke, it is such a tragedy for this little girl and her family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I live in Abigail's neighborhood in Edina, Minnesota, and our beautiful city's streets are lined with thousands of luminaries in honor of Abbey tonight. Her visitation was at a local funeral home, and afterward, her family felt the support of this community as they made their way through Edina's neighborhoods amidst the thousands of lights shining for Abbey. It is beautiful and touching. Abbey's life and death have affected so many ... and her light shines bright tonight. She won't be forgotten! Thank you for caring ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tragic. We heard the news last June as well, and have loosely followed this story. We were dismayed to learn about her quickly contracting cancer thru the anti-rejection drugs. I can not fathom the pain and living hell this poor child went thru. Small consolation, she is now in a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I heard about Abby's death on the news, it reminded me of a similar incident at the city pool in my home town. That child survived, barely. I am thinking accidents like these must happen more than we realize.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ....still makes me cry.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!